In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Brian F. Feldman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Jul 1999, Archie Cobbs wrote:
>
> > A new, faster event notification system would be great. But don't forget
> > to include *all* events, not just file descriptor readability/writability.
> > I.e., signal delivery, child exit notification, maybe even support for
> > an arbitrary number of (independent) timers. And make the events independent
> > from each other -- to avoid problems like when an application completely
> > hangs for 90 seconds when it calls gethostbyname().
>
> An async thread to do hostname lookups would be great! Wouldn't be too
> hard in libc_r, would it?

The application itself has to get involved if it wants to do async
name lookups, or async anything else, for that matter.  Suppose you
do have an async thread to do hostname lookups as you propose.  What
is the application going to do while that thread is waiting for the
lookup to complete?  It depends on the application, and thus it has
to be coded into the application.  Maybe there's nothing useful the
application could do until the lookup returns.

I've been told that it works fine to use libc_r and put the name
lookups into a separate thread.  But to take advantage of it, the
application has to have something useful it wants to do (and can do)
in the meantime.

John
--
  John Polstra                                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron