On Mon, Jul 19, 1999 at 11:25:16PM -0500, a little birdie told me
that David Scheidt remarked
> On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
> >
> > Question of the day: Why do I have async writes on a sync partition?
>
> Because only meta-data writes are done synchronously.  Data is still done
> asynchronously.

Even with SYNC mounts?
(Not 'default', explicit 'sync'.  It takes quite noticeable amounts of
time to, for instance, install kernels.)
>From fstab:
# Device    Mountpoint  FStype  Options                 Dump    Pass#
/dev/da0s1a /           ufs     rw,sync                 1       1

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)     |    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unix Systems Administrator      |    [EMAIL PROTECTED]