On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Modred wrote:

> >     I'm not sure if it shows the mac address of the cisco's port or
> > the actual device connected to it...
>
> You see the MAC of the switch's port.  It's been too long since I've
> played on a Catalyst...  but what does 'sh arp' display?  Any arp -> port
> -> host correlations?  Good luck...  :)

        Even if it did show the arp of the actual host, it's useless if it
doesn't show the IP of the device connected to it since how will one know
what device is what.

> >     That's a option too...  Only problem is that can take forever. :-)
>
> Yeah, I've noticed the 'sync-up time' takes quite awhile on a Catalyst
> running 100Mbps.

        It's pretty fast... Just it seems like the switch by default isn't
like as secure as they say it is.  People on other ports can't still sniff
packets on the LAN.

Cheers,
Vince - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - [EMAIL PROTECTED]           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]