[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dag-Erling Smorgrav) writes:

> Ville-Pertti Keinonen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > I certainly don't expect any of the available voices to be able to
> > pronounce Finnish names correctly, even with phonetic specifications.

> If the software were *designed* to speak Finnish, I'd expect it to
> cope with Finnish much better than it currently does with English,
> seeing as you guys have nearly phonetic spelling.

Festival is basically language-independent, each voice is associated
with a specific language, so with a Finnish voice it should be able to
pronounce Finnish reasonably.

Since the English voices have dictionaries for pronunciation, anyhow,
a Finnish voice wouldn't necessarily do a better job in terms of
pronunciation, although a Finnish voice should require fewer distinct
phonemes.

Creating voices does seem to involve quite a bit of work, though.