vs> I whacked mount and umount into shape for using an option "user" in
   [snip]
vs> http://www-i2.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/~stolz/mount.diff
vs> http://www-i2.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/~stolz/umount.diff.

vs> Discussion welcome!

You can allow non-root users to mount and unmount devices if
the sysctl variable "vfs.usermount" is set to "1".

For example, here's what you need to do to allow floppies to
be mounted:

        As `root':
        1. # chmod 777 /dev/fd0 # give perms to access the device
        2. # sysctl -w vfs.usermount=1

        Now users can mount and umount the floppies:
        3. $ mkdir ~/my-mount-point
        4. $ mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 ~/my-mount-point
        5. $ umount ~/my-mount-point

A FAQ entry covering this point is being reviewed and should shortly
be committed.

Regards,
Koshy