On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Alban Hertroys wrote:

> I have seen this line a lot lately. It isn't in FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE, is
> it? My /usr/src/sbin/mount/mount.c says:
>
>         /*
>          * If the mount was successfully, and done by root, tell mountd the
>          * good news.  Pid checks are probably unnecessary, but don't hurt.
>          */
>         if (rval == 0 && getuid() == 0 &&
>             (mountdfp = fopen(_PATH_MOUNTDPID, "r")) != NULL) {
>                 if (fscanf(mountdfp, "%d", &pid) == 1 &&
>                      pid > 0 && kill(pid, SIGHUP) == -1 && errno != ESRCH)
>                         err(1, "signal mountd");
>                 (void)fclose(mountdfp);
>         }
>
> getuid() == 0 looks a lot like root-only to me... Or am I missing
> something?

You are. This code says "if we're root, give mountd(8) a SIGHUP".
According to the mountd(8) manpage, "After changing the exports file, a
hangup signal should be sent to the mountd daemon to get it to reload the
export information."

> ==
> If there is a here-after,
> then there are much more people dead than alive.

I dispute this :-) The population of the world has been growing
exponentially for some centuries at least. One property of exponential
curves (f(x) = a^x) is that the area beneath the curve up to any given
point is equal to the value of the function at that point (up to a
constant scaling factor ln a).

Thus, the number of people currently alive is approximately equal to those
who have ever lived (and died).

Kris