On Thu, 02 Sep 1999 10:08:45 -0400, Tim Vanderhoek wrote:

> 3)  We try to keep the ports system roughly independent of the base
> system, and vice-a-versa.  Do you plan to make sendmail use this new
> mta id (is that even possible?)?

It's certainly something I'd like to take a shot at, yes.  Perhaps I'm
going about this the wrong way. Perhaps I should first provide a knob
that allows sendmail to be run non-priveledged. Once that's done, add a
user for it to run as.

> c) we may eventually collide with names added by admins on their own
> system (there is a de-facto standard of reserving the first 100 id #
> that helps lessen the likelihood of this, but it is i) only a de-facto
> standard, ii) only the first 100).

Perhaps I'm relying too heavily on admins to adhere to this rule.

Ciao,
Sheldon.