> --vtzGhvizbBRQ85DL
>
> On Thu, Nov 04, 1999 at 12:52:50PM -0500, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:
> > On Thu, 4 Nov 1999, Arun Sharma wrote:
> > > I just looked at the sysctl implementation and there are some differences.
> > > Moreover, since it was not being used in tools like vmstat and xosview,
> > > I thought there must be a reason.
> > >
> > > sysctl also seems to assume that it doesn't get called frequently. So
> > > mapping the name to the sysctl data is a slightly more heavy duty
> > > operation than a hash table lookup.
> >
> > Wouldn't hashing the sysctl OIDs be the way to go then?
> >
> > Why invent another namespace?
> >

> Please see the attached mail. Yes - I didn't look closely at sysctl, before
> I started working on kstat. My argument is that we need different interfaces
> for kernel tuning (which is what sysctl seems to be good at) and kernel
> performance statistics collection.
>
> The former activity is more heavy weight than the latter.

Sysctl is faster than kstat once you have performed the name->oid
lookup.  There is basically nothing that kstat can do that sysctl can't
do better and faster, apart from lookup-by-name.

\\ Tell him he should learn how to fish himself,  \\  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
\\ and he'll hate you for a lifetime.             \\  [EMAIL PROTECTED]