Jan Conrad wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> When I tried to clone a FreeBSD 3.3 system some minutes ago I realized
> that rsh was gone from the fixit floppy?
> But telnet is still there (rsh + rlogin is smaller then telnet!!!)
>
> Why was it removed?
> If there are no good reasons, please could somebody put back rsh onto the
> floppy! Currently I don't see how to do cloning easily without rsh?
Same here.

Had some trouble to dump/restore the system from a life 2nd system.

Finally found a solution:
Created a named pipe on the system with the cloning device and used
restore's integrated rsh capability:

[System A (with the FS to dump)]:
mkfifo /tmp/ufs.dump
dump 0f /tmp/ufs.dump /

[System B (fresh system)]:
cd /mnt
rrestore rvf 1.2.3.4:/tmp/ufs.dump

But sure, rsh would have been quite handy...

Daniel