This discussion sort of sparked my interest, so I started looking at
what exactly is on the fixit floppy. As I expected there was a load of
crunched binaries (interesting technique btw) but my eye fell on tar. It
wasn't a hardlink to the crunched binary like the others, it was a shell
script. The script basically translates tar commands to cpio commands,
which makes sense, since the cpio binary is a LOT smaller than tar. But
there's no cpio on the fixit floppy.......

And there's no ifconfig on the floppy either, so why even bother with
telnet/ftp/mount_nfs?

BTW this is the fixit-floppy that came with 3.4-RELEASE I'm talking
about.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind seeing nc (netcat) on the fixit floppy.
It's a very powerful networking tool IMHO, and for people in a "secure"
environment running NFS or the rlogind family is quite out of the
question =)

            DocWilco