(paul asks a good microcode question). I can't answer it yet.

Here's my take on this: we're going to do a proof of concept of this idea.
We now have three partners: SiS, Compaq, and Dell. Long-term goal is to
get industry to pick it up. This is a means to an end. I don't want to be
Mr. LinuxBIOS forever .

If it works, my life is easier: I've got a totally open source BIOS. If I
want to net boot over Myrinet, no problem. If I want to net boot over SCI,
no problem. There is lots of other stuff I get *if this works*. I can use
a 100 mbit/second network for node maintenance instead of a 9600 baud
serial port (am I the only guy who is amazed that we're STILL using 9600
baud to run our consoles?)

If it doesn't work, well, that's a datapoint.

If it doesn't work on everything out there just yet, That's not failure.
We were in this same boat in 1991, and things worked out in spite of a lot
of doomsayers. I'll specify in my next cluster RFQ that It Must Run
LinuxBIOS. Simple. Companies who want to play, can. Those who don't,
won't.

But what the heck, it's been a lot of fun.

ron