In article <99aug5.074611est.40...@border.alcanet.com.au>,
Peter Jeremy  <jere...@gsmx07.alcatel.com.au> wrote:
> Assar Westerlund <as...@sics.se> wrote:
> >Peter Jeremy <jere...@gsmx07.alcatel.com.au> writes:
> >> We need to be able to build an application that has no dynamically
> >> loaded code for recovery purposes (/stand and /sbin) as well as for
> >> security.
> >
> >Isn't that the same problem as with PAM?
>
> Quite probably PAM has the same problem.  I haven't bumped into it
> with PAM, so I can't be sure.

When you're not sure, it's really best to find out or keep quiet
on the mailing list.  As it is, you've just created a dozen or so
new people all over the world who will go around saying, "Hmm, I
seem to remember reading that PAM doesn't work in statically-linked
executables" -- which is false.  It works fine.  It is implemented
using a linker set approach which you are encouraged to investigate in
the sources.

> the situation where init can fail to load (or be unable to validate
> the single-user password for a secure console) because the appropriate
> encryption library is on a partition that isn't mounted yet

If that happened, it would have to be considered a severe design
error.

> (or has been corrupted somehow).

Many things can get corrupted to make the system unrecoverable.  For
example: the kernel, init itself, entries in the /dev directory, and
various combinations of cp, fsck, newfs, restore, ...

> The idea of being able to dynamically add new password encrytion
> schemes (PAM) or database access methods (NSS) is generally good.
> The problems appear when you try to marry these schemes with the
> system security and initialisation/recovery tools (which need to
> rely on and trust a minimal subset of the system).

Well, dynamic linking is here to stay, and that enlarges the scope
of "minimal subset" somewhat.  But nothing would be qualitatively
different if we went to an all-dynamic scheme (which I hope we will do
some day).  In any case, your system has to be working to a certain
degree to be recovered, or else you have to use external media such as
the fixit disk.

John
--
  John Polstra                                               j...@polstra.com
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron