[ Caveat: I'm making this up as I go along ]

On Fri, Aug 20, 1999 at 01:13:06PM -0500, a little birdie told me
that Steve Ames remarked

> I asked this on stable but didn't get a response... Would I get any
> performance increases by mounting NFS exported partition as Async?
>
> Would my soul be tormented in purgatory for doing it?
>
> Just to be clear... I am wondering if mounting (on the NFS _server_) a
> partition (that is exportable) as async will have any performance
> benefits to the NFS clients?

As a first guess, probably not unless you have a large number of active
clients.  Any modern hard disc will outperform ethernet/fast ethernet,
especially for larger read/writes.  For large numbers of smaller
operations, or when there is a large number of simultaneous outstanding
requests from clients, maybe.  I'd say watch the disc itself (iostat is
your friend), and if it's pegged (especially large numbers of tps) async
might buy you some increase.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)     |    fulle...@over-yonder.net
Unix Systems Administrator      |    fulle...@futuresouth.com