On 8 Jul 2011, at 05:02, Matt Olander wrote:

> What about inetd? Is that possible or does each service it support
> need sandboxing, too? How about sendmail and bind?

I'm less concerned about the core connection juggling content of inetd than the
external services it launches -- however, inetd has a number of built-in
services that do interpret and manipulate untrustworthy data (even if only in
basic ways), and directly sandboxing them with Capsicum would be very useful.

I'd also like to see some focus on network command line tools -- especially
things like dig, ping, finger, host, etc, which tend to not need access to
things after some threshold moment, and/or can motivate compartmentalisation
work on libraries such as the resolver. At this point we should go for easy
wins with 100% correctness.

(Getting a version of the resolver working with sandboxed Capsicum stuff seems
like a priority: it's a known issue with our sandboxed tcpdump, so modifying
lwresd or similar so it can work with UNIX domain sockets, and teaching the
resolver code to use them, would be excellent.)