----- Original Message ----- From: "Damien Fleuriot" <m...@my.gd>

I could understand a bit of overflow as stats are snapshots which may not
be instuntanious, but 31GB instead of under 8GB is hardly a rounding
issue /
overflow.

With respect to top showing greater than 100% by how much are you talking?
Do your realise that each core = 100%? So if you have a quad core your
system
total will be 400% not 100%?

That's his point, you cannot use 400% of a system as a whole, his point
is that top should report 100% where each core accounts for 25%

Then I would have to disagree, keeping 100% to mean 100% of a single core
is much easier to manage than 100% of a machines total capacity.

If you went to 100% = the machine total capacity processes could be using
a lot of cpu without even registering 1% on today's machines where 24 cores
is common place.

It also makes detecting single process / thread bottlenecks easier as if
your seeing 100% you know its maxing a core, instead of having to calculate
it once you know how many cores the machine has.

If your looking for total machine usage then that's also their in the summary
at the top of the screen e.g.
CPU states: 13.6% user,  0.0% nice,  1.3% system,  0.0% interrupt, 85.1% idle

Anyway this is quite off topic, and I don't want to loose sight of the threads
goal which is to determine why we can see 31GB of usage on an 8GB machine
with very little shared memory usage an no swap usage.

   Regards
   Steve

In the event of misdirection, illegible or incomplete transmission please
telephone +44 845 868 1337
or return the E.mail to postmas...@multiplay.co.uk.