On Thursday, January 17, 2013 10:57:01 am Devin Teske wrote:
> On Jan 17, 2013, at 4:06 AM, Ali Okan YÜKSEL wrote:
>
> > I know for UPDATING, it s not correct way, but i tried and 8.2 system
works
> > with 8.3 kernel (copied 8.3 /boot/kernel directory to freebsd 8.2
> > /boot/kernel) and it s not good solution but i want to know;
> >

> >   - What are specific disadvantages that i can see clearly, running 8.3
> >   kernel on freebsd 8.2?
>
> A couple user land tools might barf on you (listed below).
>
> Other than that, it's generally considered very safe.
>
> The quintessential test-case is running an 8.2 jail under an 8.3 host.
>
> We do this all the time with various releases (again, most-problematic
utilities listed below).

> >   - What are user land tools those not match with 8.3 kernel on freebsd
> >   8.2 system…?
> >

> top and ps might complain about procsize mismatch.
>
> netstat has been known to have problems if the gap is too wide.

These generally do not have problems in recent release branches.  top and ps
haven't complained about procsize since the 4.x days as 5.0 introduced a new
kinfo_proc structure that the kernel exports and it hasn't changed in size
since 5.0.

The mfiutil issue dhw@ mentioned is real and is due to an mfi(4) driver
change.  I merged a fix for the panics to 8-stable, but it just makes
old mfiutil binaries not work at all.

--
John Baldwin