David O'Brien wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 03:12:35PM -0600, Michael C . Wu wrote:
> > I would be quite interested. But do we have the resouces and the man-hours
> > to handle IA-64/KA-64/PPC/Alpha/StrongARM at the same time?
>
> Agreed.
>
> > Perhaps the first step would be to start a [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > mailing list?
>
> Then why start Yet Another(tm) mailing list for it as everyone has agreed
> it isn't time for that yet.

I don't think that "everyone" had reached any such agreement. It would
seem to me that there is sufficient interest in FreeBSD/StrongARM that
such a project is certainly worth pursuing. A mailing list would
definitely be helpful to coordinating the project, gaining additional
support for the project, and it would also serve to keep all the chatter
off of -hackers.

> > We could simply build a cross-gcc on ARM/Linux and the rest is
> > making sure that everything compiles.
>
> How about concentrating effort on just _one_ new platform (ok, two --
> ia64 and powerpc)???

Well I certainly would agree that we should concentrate effort on just
one or two new platforms. If there is more interest in a PPC or ia64
port than in a StrongARM port, then it would make more sense to
concentrate on those. However, if there is more interest in StrongARM
now, and hence people willing to working on it *now* and bring it to
life, then pursuing a StrongARM port would make more sense. I for one am
interested in helping put FreeBSD on a StrongARM. :)
--
Regards, Devin.