On 28 Dec 2000, at 11:29, Volker Stolz wrote:

> Am 28. Dec 2000 um 10:33 MET schrieb Dan Langille:
> > What about a daemon signalling a waiting perl script?
> > Is it an issue if the daemon signals the perl script when it's already
> > processing?  Could a signal be missed?
>
> How about using a FIFO (maybe in /tmp) and let the daemon printf,echo,cat,...
> control-msgs into the FIFO and have a perl script sitting on the other end?

That sounds good to me.  It meets the criteria.

> Signals suck. Another advantage would be that the perl script could choose
> it´s own pace and let things queue up in the FIFO. However, a FIFO only
> has limited capacity.

Given that we are processing incoming messages from cvs-all, I don't
think we'll meet that capacity (not that I know what the capacity is).

>  If I´d be using Haskell (http://www.haskell.org), I´d
> throw in a forkIO() and would get a neatly multi-threaded solution where one
> thread reads the FIFO and queues up requests while the other thread queries
> him for more work -- I don´t know about threaded perl, though.

That sounds great.  But without knowing more, I think it's too much for
the task at hand.  I would like to keep things simple and free from
complicity.  Writing a multi-threaded solution, unless someone else
wants to do it, may be too big of a task for me.  Volunteeers?  ;)

thank you.

--
Dan Langille
The FreeBSD Diary - http://freebsddiary.org/