> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jordan Hubbard)
> Date: Fri 15 Jun, 2001
> Subject: Re: Query:  How to tell if Microsoft is using BSD TCP/IP code?

> root@winston-> strings FTP.EXE |grep "University of California"
> @(#) Copyright (c) 1983 The Regents of the University of California.

You can't tell much from the utilities, there are still too many obvious
traces of the proprietary product they originally licensed (much of which
was not BSD-derived, and the stuff that was ended up less BSD-like -
try looking at a few of lines of context around the above grep to see
inexplicable traces of TLI interface code).

I suspect that not much if anything is left of the kernel code they initially
deployed, though (which was definitely very un-BSD in origin --you can see from
old NT documentation that it was a STREAMS implementation, but you really don't
want to know what form it took prior to that!-- though it gained some BSD code
later on - can't recall whether any of that was prior to MS getting it).

Microsoft should, however, definitely have been acknowledging BSD code in
their documentation right from the start, until that clause was repealed (the
documentation they bought did).  This includes the Wolverine stuff they gave
out as an add-on to Windows for Workgroups, which had a similar FTP.EXE and
so on (Wolverine was released after the original NT TCP/IP implementation).

However, I can't offer any concrete proof as to whether their core TCP/IP
implementation migrated to BSD code (though I would certainly expect it to
be so, as there wasn't much else to choose from back then if I remember),
and I no longer work alongside folks who might have tracked that stuff better.

                Cheers,

                Mark.

--
Mark Valentine, Thuvia Labs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       <http://www.thuvia.co.uk>
"Tigers will do ANYTHING for a tuna fish sandwich."       Mark Valentine uses