In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Matt Dillon  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> :Yes, I understand that.  I'm just trying to find out why Mike keeps
> :saying we cannot determine the processor cache characteristics at
> :runtime.
> :
> :John
>
>     You can find out from the cpuid or something like that,

Yes.  As I said, you can find out from the CPUID instruction by
passing it the value 2 in %eax.

>     but it's probably easier to simply do it programmatically, or
>     not bother at all.  It's not worth the effort.  We would not
>     reap any additional benefit from knowing.

Opinions on that seem to vary wildly.  Mike said just the opposite.
Since that was not the point I addressed, I'll let the two of you
debate it out.

John
--
  John Polstra                                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]