Using the nmdm driver for serial console debugging in vmware I was really
surprised to notice that the thing actually doesn't work at all (anymore).

As far as I could find out it only supported one pair.
Also after a close, when I would do a "ls -al /dev/nmdm*", I would get a
kernel panic.

I rewrote nmdm.c to the basic point that it works fine for me. One can now
create multiple pairs and I haven't got any panics or problems whatsoever.
I also took the liberty to remove the ancient K&R requirements at the same
time now there is a large code change anyway.

Please review the patch at:
http://www.ripe.net/home/mark/files/nmdm.diff

I would appreciate any feedback ranging from: 'hey, you should do it like
this!' to 'committed!'.

I only used/tested this on -CURRENT btw.

Thanks to Julian for writing the driver initially.

Mark

--
Mark Santcroos                          RIPE Network Coordination Centre
http://www.ripe.net/home/mark/          New Projects Group/TTM