Terry Lambert wrote:

> Kenneth Culver wrote:
> > Why are you being so sarcastic? Everyone here is assuming that it's harder
> > to write C++ code, so you should only use it if necessary. It isn't
> > necessary to use it for something like a daemon.
>
> Because that underlying assumption is false, and I'm making
> fun of it.
>
> If you don't use C++ specific features, you're just writing
> C code anyway.

Not exactly. There are semantic differences even in the code
looking just like C.

> It's not harder to write C++ code that uses the special features
> of the language; it may be harder for a programmer unfamiliar

Yes, it is. To make things right with these features you need
to write a few times more lines of code. This gives you a few
times more opportunities to make mistakes and requires
a few times more of testing.

> There are a lot of benefits to the use of C++ that outweigh
> the downside, particularly if you are a company paying for

Sure, as long as your project grows big enough, the benefits
start outweighing the troubles.

> something, and you want to invest the value in the code base
> instead of investing it in people who can walk out the door
> and sign with your competition tomorrow.

Makes no difference in this respect. You have the codebase anyway
and you need people who understand it anyway too.

-SB