On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 05:07:40PM -0700 I heard the voice of
Terry Lambert, and lo! it spake thus:

> The problem with your proposed patch is that it breaks the
> ability to allow authentication against the database while
> it is undergoing modification, which may be a prolonged period.

Would it?

For starters, this locks master.passwd, not spwd.db, so any well-behaved
program that used getpw*() like a good little monkey wouldn't even notice
it.  In fact, with Paul's change and the rename() alteration, it'd be
BETTER for programs that tried to parse master.passwd, because as it
currently stands, there are times when it's incomplete (because of the
line-by-line copy, which caused us both a few moments of illness when we
noticed it).

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]