Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:

> I've tried a number of syntax-colouring editors, to no avail. The quotes
> (single, double, and back) *are* balanced, according to everything I've
> thrown the script at.

In addition to the other excellent suggestions, I'd suggest using the
syntax highlighting editor, and start deleting quotes here and there.
You might find that the de-highlighting happens in places that you don't
expect.

Also, it might help you to break the program down into smaller
functions. That usually makes it easier to locate the errors.

Doug