Wes Peters wrote:

| Greg Black wrote:
| >
| > Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
| >
| > | I've tried a number of syntax-colouring editors, to no avail. The quotes
| > | (single, double, and back) *are* balanced, according to everything I've
| > | thrown the script at. That's why I'm more interested in something that
| > | can actually parse Bourne shell syntax (quiet Terry - I *know* what
| > | you're going to say) and dump out what it thinks the parse tree looks
| > | like. The problem isn't with the quotes being unbalanced, it's something
| > | else that's making the shell ignore one (or more) of those quotes.
| >
| > Surely the simple thing is to put an exit statement in the
| > middle of the script and see which half has the problem?  Move
| > the exit statement forwards or backwards in a binary search
| > until the problem leaps out and hits you in the face.
|
| Or simply set -x at the beginning of the script?

The only time I've ever faced a script where this sort of thing
was a problem, the output from -x was so voluminous (and so hard
to parse by eye), that it was much faster to work with the exit
statements as I outlined above.  A non-trivial script generates
an awful lot of output from -x and trivial scripts are easy to
debug.

Greg