At 3:21 AM -0800 2/5/03, Doug Barton wrote:
On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Amit Rao wrote:

 Allow users to pass "regexps to ignore" as an option?
 similar to:  diff --ignore-matching-lines="\$FreeBSD:" ?
I decided to be more general, and added the DIFF_OPTIONS variable
to the script, and an example of -I$FreeBSD:.*$ to the man page.
Well, this gets into an interesting exercise in quoting...

I think I really want:

DIFF_OPTIONS='-I $FreeBSD:.*[$]'

to get the behavior I wanted, because the pattern should match
a literal $, and not have the $ be treated as "to end-of-line".

I think my reasoning is correct there. It also seems to work
right with or without the blank after the -I.

Also note that the example in the man page expanded to:

#DIFF_OPTIONS='-I$FreeBSD: src/usr.sbin/mergemaster/mergemaster.8,v 1.25 2003/02/05 11:03:05 dougb Exp $' # Ignores CVS Id tags

which would probably baffle anyone who reads it!

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn = [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Systems Programmer or [EMAIL PROTECTED]