Michael Ranner (Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 03:40:20PM +0100) wrote:
> Am Freitag, 21. Februar 2003 22:38 schrieben Sie:
> > At 10:20 PM +0100 2/19/03, Michael Ranner wrote:
> >
> > For what it's worth, we (FreeBSD) have a simple SuperBlock recovery
> > program in /usr/src/tools/tools/find-sb.  I picked up some updates
> > from Dave Cross for that, and have a few more of my own.  I just
> > have to sit down and get them all together into a single version.
> > I don't know how find-sb compares to the program you're talking
> > about, but they sound kind of similar.
>
> Scan_ffs can print the lost disklabel for use with disklabel(8).
> Find-sb, that version from cvs, seems only to print info about
> the superblocks of each file system and you have to rebuild the
> lost disklabel for your self. I was on the search for a simple
> tool for everybody, and found scan_ffs several months ago
> in the OpenBSD distribution (so it seems find-sb was like
> reinventing the wheel) and Robert Watson suggested in a posting
> december last year to adopt scan_ffs for UFS2. IMHO we should
> reuse a already written program with existing man pages, so
> we have the same sounding tools for the same tasks.
>
> I don't know what find-sb could do with your patches applied.
> If it's superior to scan_ffs, we can forget scan_ffs.

FWIW, I did make scan_ffs work with UFS2 at one point in time, but I
lost my stuff in a disk crash.  It's a pretty good utility with good
documentation.  The only thing you need to worry about in the scan_ffs
code is the opendisk() routine, or something like that, but it shouldn't
be hard.

--
Hiten Pandya ([EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED])
http://www.unixdaemons.com/~hiten/