Valentin Nechayev wrote:
> Essential words are understriked. I can't imagine how it can be read
> as "unsupported".

Non-native English speaking.  Specifically:

> DES>        They are retained because of their widespread use,
> DES>        but their use in  new  implementations  (for
>                               ~~~
> DES>        implementation features) or new programs (for language
>                                         ~~~
> DES>        [6.11] or library features [7.26]) is discouraged.

So... "implementations"... what is the direct object, and what
is the implied object for what's being discouraged here?  A
non-native English speaker could easily interpret this to mean
"new compiler implementations", instead of what was intended,
which is "new program implementations using the language defined
herein".

Another less likely interpretation is just what "discouraged"
means... does the compiler emit a message?  Does it emit a
warning?  Does it emit an error?  An error truly *would* be
"discouraging".  Again, the distinction that allows something
to be "discouraged" without being "discouraging", in that
particular sense, is generally lost on the non-native English
speaker (look up "gerund", if you get a chance).

DESs interpretation is clearly wrong; on the other hand, the
standards language is ambiguous, unless you are very familiar
with English (more than most native English speakers are
familiar with it, in fact).

-- Terry