On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Kamal R. Prasad wrote:

would a port of JFS2 be of interest to freebsd core?
thanks
-kamal

There are many things that would be of interest to FreeBSD users, but that's not a good reason to start a project. If you're motivated only because you think others desire your work, you'll probably give up when you have to start dealing with all the realities of the project. However, if you're motivated because *you* want to port JFS2, then you'll probably do a good job of it.

So, of course support for new filesystem support is good, but my personal opinion is that JFS2 isn't worth your time, for two reasons:

a) Even if it's BSD licensed, it's unlikely to displace UFS as our default filesystem.

b) It's not a widely used filesystem, so it doesn't really increase our interoperability with other OSes.

OTOH, updating our ext2 code, or ntfs code (if that's even possible) would be something of use to many people, I suspect.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack