On Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 03:23:21PM -0500 I heard the voice of
Kris Kennaway, and lo! it spake thus:
> On Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 10:07:39AM -0600, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
> >
> > This is something that may be easier to:
> >
> > 3) Implement in portupgrade or portmanager or some such higher-level
> >    tool in a language that gives a little more flexibility than make,
> >    and which is already apparently pulling in most of the information
> >    it may need to do the job.
>
> You still have the same issue as 1).

  [ 1 == building dependancy tree to know what depends on what ]

Yes, but portupgrade and friends already do most of that, so they can
upgrade stuff "in order".  The biggest thing it seems like portupgrade
(which is the only one I'm personally familiar with) lacks is that it
doesn't of itself find out "which of these dependancies are already
installed", and lets the ports tree itself recurse down.  It sounds,
from reading the emails, like the script dougb has been putting
together does this, though.

Given that capability, and the information portupgrade builds (from
all-depends-list, I think?) to determine which order to upgrade things
in, it seems like it would have right there most of what it needs.
There are still issues like "after you start building something and it
does the make config" and the like to handle (as well as terminal
arbitration issues with multiple possibly interactive compiles going
at once), of course.  Not an easy or trivial thing to do even with all
that, certainly, but probably easier in perl/ruby/C/etc than in
make...

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]