Andriy Gapon wrote:

It seems that rdmsr instruction can be executed only at the highest privilege level and thus is not permitted from userland. Maybe we should provide something like Linux /dev/cpu/msr? I don't like interface of that device, I think that ioctl approach would be preferable in this case. Something like create /dev/cpuN and allow some ioctls on it: ioctl(cpu_fd, CPU_RDMSR, arg).
What do you think?

While I think this (devcpu) is good for testing and development, I prefer having a device driver to handle that specific MSR than a generic /dev/cpuN where you can issue MSRs.
Both for security and reliability reasons.

Regards,
--
Rui Paulo