on 18/05/2008 21:32 Rui Paulo said the following:

Yes, but I still don't like having everything mixed up in one driver. At the very least, I would like us to have two drivers. One for the microcode update and the other driver for the rest.

I would like to see a microcode update utility (driver + something to parse Intel's file aka devcpu-data) in the base system, but not "the rest", though.

Well, I am not sure what is a basis for such a requirement.
As I pointed out before we already have /dev/pci and /dev/io and those are not going to go away, because there are quite reasonable applications that require those devices (and wide-spread too). And I think that sufficiently structured (via ioctl interface) access to CPU is also needed for some quite useful (and reasonable) userland applications. I can understand efforts to prevent foot-shooting, but I can not understand an approach of limiting abilities of a (sufficiently) privileged user. After all, he/she can rebuild a kernel and put all they need into it.

--
Andriy Gapon