In other words, is there still reason for the "highly experimental
feature" warning?

Last time when I added the warning, it was because some data corruption
issue that can be identified by fsx which I didn't got a chance to
investigate further.  I think tmpfs is Ok for some usual work but maybe
not ready for production at that moment.  alc@ and kib@ has made a lot
of changes on it recently so perhaps we need to re-visit the problems,
tmpfs would be a great feature for us.

as an ordinary user not programmer of tmpfs i can say that:

1) runs fine for months in production environments, including case with over 40 mountpoints (jails)
2) runs really fast when memory is available.
3) performance is bad in case that swapping actually is used. It reads from swap with too small chunks. it's a place for improvement here.

Its great thing as it does it properly - memory is immediately freed on delete, and no caching of memory disk like with md(4).