I'm wondering what people think of a forward path for the following:

CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5620  @ 2.40GHz (2400.14-MHz
K8-class CPU)
  Origin="GenuineIntel"  Id=0x206c2  Family=0x6  Model=0x2c  Stepping=2

Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>

Features2=0x29ee3ff<SSE3,PCLMULQDQ,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,SMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,PCID,DCA,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,POPCNT,AESNI>
  AMD Features=0x2c100800<SYSCALL,NX,Page1GB,RDTSCP,LM>
  AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
  VT-x: PAT,HLT,MTF,PAUSE,EPT,UG,VPID
  TSC: P-state invariant, performance statistics
real memory  = 25773998080 (24580 MB)
avail memory = 24915828736 (23761 MB)
Event timer "LAPIC" quality 600
ACPI APIC Table: <111612 APIC1749>
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 16 CPUs
FreeBSD/SMP: 2 package(s) x 4 core(s) x 2 hardware threads

The system board is a Supermicro and has embedded IPMI (which I require
for remote admin purposes) on a separate interface.  It's plenty fast
but very power-hungry.

I'm interested in other's experience with various system board options,
and processors, that will return /better /performance and which have a
good history running FreeBSD /but with lower power consumption.

/Any suggestions welcome.

--
Karl Denninger
k...@denninger.net <mailto:k...@denninger.net>