On Tuesday, 2 January 2018 22:17:19 Aaron Havens wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 12:31 AM, Russell Haley <russ.ha...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 9:50 PM, Russell Haley <russ.ha...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > Hey Guys,
> > >
> > > Merry Christmas! Hope this finds you all well. While free time for me
> > > has been at a premium, I have managed to finally get my hands on a
> > > laptop and cram 16 Gb of ram and a nice big SSD in it. That means I
> > > now have room for lots of VMs. I have a GhostBSD image (FreeBSD 11.1)
> > > and will bring up a TrueOS which is a revision of CURRENT. Yay for
> > > Virtual Box!

And happy new year :-)

> > > Mono 5.2
> > >
> > > I've created a svn ports repo to mess with and tried out the Mono 5.2
> > > patch from David. While I ultimately succeeded,  the D12440.diff patch
> > > had one error. The chunk was in a RUN_DEPENDS (inconsiquential to the
> > > build) but I patched it manually and ran it. I then found blank patch
> > > files for patch-mono_metadata_socket-io.c,
> > > patch-mono_utils_mono-compiler.h and patch-mono_utils_w32handle.c
> > > (there may have been more, I wasn't careful enough when I was deleting
> > > them).

Please check the updated patch in (https://reviews.freebsd.org/D13751), I
might need to refresh it for changes in the ports tree.

> > > After some difficulty with the tarball downloads timing out, the build
> > > completed successfully! I'll be checking MonoDevelop as well shortly.
> > > I'm hoping David can chime in and we can finish this off?

Other than things I have overlooked I think we have a ship-able patch.  There
are some more things to do, but I don't think show stoppers.

> > So I've had some more time to play with this and the shear breadth of
> > Davids work is staggering. I've suggested in the review that it be
> > broken up into pieces so that it can be digested. Some of this work is
> > important to the DotNet core work; David has a port for msbuild and
> > Rosyln that are really exciting.
> >
> > If David is able to chop the reviews up, is there anyone available to help
> > test?

I've split the review into 5 sections, 2 with reviews ready:

- https://reviews.freebsd.org/D13751: ancillary ports
- https://reviews.freebsd.org/D13752: mono (and USES=mono)
- msbuild (depends on mono)
- fsharp (depends on msbuild)
- monodevelop (depends on msbuild)

I suggest you focus on mono, I'll bang out the ancillary ports (hopefully
tomorrow).

> > Russ
>
> I am willing to help test. Just may need some guidance on where to start
> and what is needed.

I suggest you try build mono (https://reviews.freebsd.org/D13752).  You can
test by:
 - running the unit tests (i.e. `make test`)
 - run your favourite mono apps
 - try some random mono apps in the ports collection

> > > DotNet Core 2
> > >
> > > Tomas from MS has been building out the Core Framework (corefx) and
> > > has an "Frankensteins Monster" SDK ready for testing. I have been
> > > working on getting the Common Language Runtime (coreclr) test suite to
> > > build to validate the system. The working instructions are being
> > > generated as we go. I've been building the managed parts on Windows,
> > > while Tomas has been using GNU/Linux for a build platform. I'm hoping
> > > my work will start to coalesce with Tomas' soon and we can see some
> > > progress.

Excellent to hear.  Any idea as to when FreeBSD will be self-hosting?

Regards

David