Xin LI wrote:
Darren Pilgrim wrote:
Tonight I source-upgraded a FreeBSD system from i386 6.3p5 to i386
6.4-R.  I have postfix 2.5.5 and dovecot 1.1.7 installed with postfix
using dovecot for SASL and dovecot LDA for mailbox delivery.  After
installing 6.4-R, postfix refused to work until I recompiled and
reinstalled both it and dovecot.  Dovecot itself (i.e., the IMAP server)
worked fine.  Postfix worked fine if I set smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=no and
defer_transports=dovecot, effectively preventing postfix from using any
dovecot bits.  Examples of the logged errors:

Before reinstalling anything:

postfix/pipe[36617]: fatal: get_service_attr: unknown group: vmail

Sounds like that you have did something really bad during mergemaster?
(i.e. installed /etc/group without actually doing merge) and in turn the
group gets removed...

The only change to /etc/group was the CVS ID tag. Group resolution worked for other programs--ls showed "vmail" rather than the numeric gid, chown worked with :vmail, etc.

I verified libraries matched with another 6.4-R system. I power cycled the system thinking there may have been stale libraries or some mysterious form of cache corruption in memory; however, the problem persisted.

The problem didn't go away until I rebuilt the ports.