Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
> The fact that the error occurs AT ALL is the bug and what is
> counterintuitive, and many people would not think to try typing "make"
> again, and instead would just assume the thing's broken.

Ok, I actually misunderstood the problem that you were reporting. I
thought that the reference to .build_done.bind96._usr_local indicated
that the port had already been built once, but that is not the case.
To reproduce the bug, you need to do the following:

1. Make sure there is nothing in /var/db/ports/bind96
2. cd /usr/ports/dns/bind96
3. make
4. Enable the "replace base" option
5. Save the config

You will then see the following error:

make: don't know how to make
/usr/local/tmp/usr/local/ports/dns/bind96/work/.build_done.bind96._usr_local.
Stop
*** Error code 2

I think Mel is right that the problem is changing PREFIX, but that's
the whole purpose of the option.

Could you please open a PR about this with a subject something to the
effect of "OPTIONS that change PREFIX cause an error after 'make
config'" and describe how to reproduce this?

Thanks,

Doug