On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 02:09:59PM +0200, Julien Laffaye wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Ivan Voras <ivo...@freebsd.org> wrote:
>

> > And... both ideas are completely wrong. SQLite can be imported as a
> > single C file + header, which you must agree is practically the
> > optimum, and its license is "public domain" which is, if anything,
> > "freer" than BSDL and eminently compatible with it.
> >
> > And if we don't want to build a sqlite.so which can conflict with the
> version from ports, we can statically link libpkg to it. Incognito.
>

> > BDB in base offer exactly one (1) single "feature", if you can call it
> > that: storing and retrieving key-value binary blobs. It has no
> > practical concurrency support, it's locking is laughable and upgrading
> > data stored as binary blobs is even more nightmarish than maintaining
> > the current plist format (and it will lead to similar uglyness soon -
> > rather than upgrading the data piece called "x", I'm sure developers
> > will introduce new keys called "x_extdata", "x_moredata" etc etc).
> >

> If we are going key-value storage, I think that TinyCDB is worth a look.

I also think tinycdb is a good candidate: very simple, clean and fast and
And as most of the access are readonly, the fact that is a constant database is
not a problem, I already tested tinycdb in my freebsd port of pkgin (an apt
like for
pkgsrc) and result in terms of performance and simplicity were clearly in favor
of tinycdb.

but if we go to SQLite it is not a problem for me.

[...]
> > As for backward compatibility: basically it can be done in two ways:
> > 1) build a one-time converter that will read the present plist
> > database and output a new database or 2) build a compatibility layer
> > which would support both the old and the new format at the same time,
> > so people upgrading will continue to use their old data. I consider
> > the latter wasteful in terms of developer resources and because
> > bit-rot will eventually make support for the old format decrepit.
> >

> Agreed, a one time converter seems to be the solution. Especially if the
> transition occur between two major FreeBSD version (say, 9 - > 10).

I think that for the /var/db/pkg we should make a converter for a one time
transition.

But tools like pkg_add or pkg_info should be able to works with both new format
and old one (at least through a wrapper)

> > > 2. XML is a bad idea. Great in theory, wonderful in my browser, but a
> > > bloated plaintext file with a lot of complexity. I would prefer a
> > > database solution that could be dumped to a simple text file format if
> > > needed.
> >
> > XML, at least in my proposal, would not be used for the system package
> > database, but would replace (either in part or all with a single file)
> > today's "+" files in the packages, together with other purposes where
> > some metadata transfer is required.
> >
> > That said, I would also be happy with other self-described formats
> > like JSON. XML is the front runner because it's more standard
> > (industry standard, whether someone likes this fact or not!) and there
> > is already a parser in base.
> >

> The pro of XML here is that we have a parser in base, The con is its
> verbosity. But anyway the manifest is not meant to be human readable.
> Nevertheless, I prefer JSON, because it's less complex than XML and we can
> have a parser/emiter in a single 500SLOC .c file.
> And it looks sexier than XML, eh : http://pastebin.com/8hzPSSJC

+1 for JSON, XML would have been interesting if we add a validating parser in
base which would have help us to verify the package integrity, but expat isn't a
good validating parser. writting a json parser/emiter is easy, and there already
exists tons of BSDL friendly license JSON parser. For exemple we could import
yajl (BSDL) into base or use cJSON (MIT) which consist in one simple C + header
file

regards,
Bapt