On 17/02/2012 13:05, Alex Dupre wrote:
> Matthew Seaman wrote:
>> Adding code to run ldd(1)
>> against the files installed by the port and processing the results
>> shouldn't be too hard.
>
> This could be an idea for ports maintainers, to verify if LIB_DEPENDS is
> set correctly, but cannot be used as its generic replacement.

Quite so, but that's not the principal benefit.  It's a way of
efficiently answering the question "which of my installed ports need to
be re-built as a result of this shlib change?"  For the end users
primarily.  Having this data recorded in /var/db/pkg/foo-9.99/+CONTENTS
makes answering that question something like:

        grep -l '@comment SHLIB:libwhatever' /var/db/pkg/*/+CONTENTS | \
            cut -d '/' -f 5

Ideally a ports management tool would notice if any port updated a shlib
to a different ABI version and suggest to the user which ports to rebuild.

I assume something similar could be done for the new pkg tools, but I
really have no idea how hard that would be.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

                                                  Flat 3
JID: matt...@infracaninophile.co.uk               Kent, CT11 9PW