On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 11:29 PM, Kimmo Paasiala <kpaas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 10:59 PM, Vitaly Magerya <vmage...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Julien Laffaye <jlaff...@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>> I am not trying to state what it should or should not do.
>>> I am trying to guess why it is doing things like it does.
>>
>> I apologize for being patronizing then.
>>
>> Is any committer here willing to remove sqlite3's dependency on
>> pkg-config, or should I file a PR? (A grep through the sources reveals
>> that sqlite3 does not use pkg-config for it's own build, so it should
>> be safe to completely drop the dependency).
>
> The port builds fine with the USE_GNOME=pkgconfig line commented out,
> also I tested building a dependent port devel/subversion and it built
> fine.
> I'm wondering if the dependency is removed then will all ports that
> link to sqlite3 pull in pkg-config if it's not installed?

Sqlite3 isn't the only one with a bogus dependency to pkg-config, for
example audio/libsndfile does the same by using "USE_GNOME=gnomehack
pkgconfig" instead of doing the proper thing (tm) which is patching
Makefile.in to install the .pc file to $(prefix)/libdata/pkgconfig. I
can try to track down some of those and submit PRs.