On 2014-07-05 19:09, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
> Hi,
>
> given ports@ ist listed as maintainer, you get the email.  The Subject says
> it.  The world has moved on;  in March I had a hard time arguing, in July I
> just cannot anymore.  We must switch to 2.4;  whatever breaks needs fixing,
> but somehow other distributions have managed and we did not and keep screwing
> our users missing a lot of security features.
>
> Please fix!
>
> —
> Bjoern A. Zeeb             "Come on. Learn, goddamn it.", WarGames, 1983

Hi Bjoern,

nothing against this change, except your complain comes a little bit late.

The portstree was already tagged for 9.3 some days ago so this change would be
a possible issue for all users using the 9.3 packages.

Before the default version can be changed a full expr. run by portmgr@ is
required and all possible issues should be fixed.

Unluckily we have a rolling ports tree (not like RHEL and others where such a
change happens during new major releases) so there should be also a time frame
to warn users about such a change.

I remember endless discussions about the removal of apache13 after it was
already deprecated nearly one year after upstream deprecation ...

--
olli