So, if it was too burdensome for the whole project to support
two trees (that probably was the estimate for the core developers
involved [and I'm not one of them]), why, do you think, would
it have worked for a sub-fraction of the project ?

Thanks Kurt, for cutting to the core issue.  It's one that has dogged
FreeBSD for some time now i.e., to either A) manage change-control with a
long term perspective with the goal of growing or at least retaining the
installed base of end-users or B) with a short-term perspective for the
benefit of our generous and skilled developers.

From a strictly end-user perspective I'd prefer if the skew went a little
more towards former (long-term planning) for both selfish (more FreeBSD
jobs) and shared (more stability, better security, fewer bugs) goals.
There's no getting around the budget, however, and hope that FreeBSD's
long-term viability plays a larger part in at least the Foundation's
efforts.

Roger