On 3/6/17 3:56 PM, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
Hi all,

I would like to propose a change in the localbase hier for ports

I think we should add /usr/local/share/man in the manpath along with at first
and maybe instead of in long term.

The reason is:
- /usr/local/share/man seems more consistent to me with base which have:
   /usr/share/man
- It will remove lots of patches from the ports tree where were we need to patch
   upstream build system to install in a non usual path.

My proposal is to add to the manpath /usr/local/share/man in default man(1)
command in FreeBSD 12 (MFCed to 11-STABLE)

and either provide an errata for 11.0/10.3 or a
/usr/local/etc/man.d/something.conf via a port or something like that for those
two, what do you think?

For the same reason I would like to allow porters to stop patching (with pathfix
or anything else) the path for pkgconfig files and allow
/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig along with the current
/usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig:/usr/libdata/pkgconfig

Which will also remove tons of hacks from the ports tree.

What do you think?

Best regards,
Bapt
Yes please. Reducing the required changes to port software to FreeBSD is a good thing.

-Alfred