Baptiste Daroussin <b...@freebsd.org> writes:
> I would like to propose a change in the localbase hier for ports
>
> I think we should add /usr/local/share/man in the manpath along with
> at first and maybe instead of in long term.

2) plus info -> share/info as suggested by jbeich

3) plus libdata/pkgconfig -> lib/pkgconfig

These three items will ensure that "./configure --prefix=/usr/local &&
make install" will do the right thing out of the box - by changing our
definition of "the right thing" to match what the GNU autotools have
been doing for at least 15 years.

4) Remove the hardcoded library path in lang/gcc*

This makes it possible to work on software that includes both libraries
and programs while an earlier copy of the same software is already
installed.  With the current state of gcc, the programs you are working
on will be linked against the version of the library that's already
installed instead of the version you just compiled, and there is nothing
you can do to prevent it.  You won't notice anything if all you ever do
is "make && make install", because the new library will replace the old,
but if you try to run your program directly from the build tree, it will
use the wrong library.  This can be incredibly frustrating if you're not
aware of it - imagine you're trying to fix a bug in that library and no
matter what you do, your regression test keeps failing...

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - d...@des.no