from Kurt Jaeger and my previous post:

> > I noticed, trying to configure ptxdist under FreeBSD (ptxdist.org), that
> > stat (gstat) was missing in sysutils/coreutils.

> > Configure script execution ended with

> > checking for GNU rm... /usr/local/bin/grm
> > checking for GNU rmdir... /usr/local/bin/grmdir
> > checking for GNU sort... /usr/local/bin/gsort
> > checking for GNU stat... configure: error: could not find GNU stat

> Because FreeBSD has its own gstat command (doing something different),
> the port has gnustat for GNU stat. So the configure script
> needs to check for gnustat, maybe this solves your problem?

Now I see where GNU stat is, and it's not FreeBSD's fault that ptxdist
configure script can't find things.  I made a symbolic link in nonroot
~/fb64/bin:

ln -s /usr/local/bin/gnustat gstat

That worked so far, but then ptxdist configure script failed on not finding GNU
tar (in archivers as gtar, not sysutils/coreutils).  I didn't know I needed
that!

Anyway, thanks for pointing out where GNU stat is.

Tom