@lbutlr wrote on 11/02/2019 14:48:
I have mariadb101 (client and server) installed, but when looking at what pkg
update will do, one of the things it will do is install MySQL. Is there
something I need to do to tell it to use MariaDB instead?

Since I am here, it also wants to install a bunch of X11 packages, but I
neither want nor have any desktop environment installed, so similar question,
how can I tell pkg to run in “don’t enable GUIs” mode?

Build your own packages wit poudriere and change default options to use MariaDB instead of MySQL for all ports, do not use X11 / GUI / DOC / NLS and whatever options you like / don't like.

Miroslav Lachman