> This is why we practically beg people to use poudriere. There seems to
> be a pervasive misconception that poudriere is "advanced" and
> portmaster is simple or straightforward. That notion is completely and
> totally backwards. Poudriere makes managing ports as simple and
> trouble-free as possible, and portmaster is specifically for people
> who can troubleshoot and fix problems like the one you're describing
> on their own. These problems WILL continue to happen very regularly
> for portmaster, because portmaster simply cannot do the right thing on
> its own. It will ALWAYS require manual intervention every time
> anything remotely significant changes.

> I've mentioned this to you before, lbutlr, because you post about
> encountering these snags quite regularly, and your (quite warranted)
> frustration is apparent. I really do think that your FreeBSD life will
> be simpler if you switch from portmaster to poudriere. If you choose
> to stay on portmaster, however, then you need to check the resentment
> about build failures. They are simply an inevitable consequence of
> using a very old and broken tool that should only be used by people
> with substantial port-handling experience.

> You are right that there wasn't a warning, and that was a major
> mistake that should not have happened. security/openssl and
> security/openssl111 should have contained messages about this switch.

> Adam Weinberger

I suppose what you say about portmaster applies equally to portupgrade?

I get the impression that synth and its dependency gcc6-aux are falling into
desuetude if not actually officially deprecated.

gcc6-aux has not been updated while gcc is up tp 8.3 and 9.2.

I have never used poudriere, guess I will have to learn how if I stay with
FreeBSD.

NetBSD pkgsrc also has its problems: has been ported to many other mostly
(quasi-)Unix OSes including FreeBSD, but I never tried pkgsrcc outside NetBSD,
don't think I really want to.

DragonFlyBSD switched from pkgsrc to dports, and Haiku switched from pkgsrc to
Haikuports.

Upgrading a large number of ports with portmaster usually required many runs,
correcting the errors after each run, waiting for updates for broken ports.

Tom