On Wed, Jul 08, 2020 at 10:44:03AM +0200, Ronald Klop wrote:

> Kill the leaf nodes of the process tree. So kill the c++ processes. Or type
> ctrl-c if you have control of the terminal.

In this case I'd lost control of the controlling terminal and didn't
know how to recover it.  After kill -9 <pid> of the initial make process
I left the system standing overnight, to see if killing the original make
process would eventually propagate down to the leaf nodes. It didn't.

Then I used killall c++, and again, it killed the named processes, but other
things,
notably pkg, kept running. After waiting a few minutes they were killall-ed.
A notation from ninja eventually showed up in the logfile saying "interrupted
by user", so maybe ninja was the place to start shutting things down.

> If you are running the compile in a jail (like poudriere) you might use
> "killall -j <jail> c++" or something similar.

No room for a jail on a Pi, alas....
> Pkill can be usable also.
Thank you, I didn't know about it.
> BTW: How graceful a restart works is outside of the scope of the ports
> framework and depends a lot on the structure of the chromium build process
> itself.

Understood. This is the first time I've ever needed to kill a port build.
Usually they die prematurely of natural causes!

Thanks for your help

bob prohaska