On Wed, Jul 08, 2020 at 09:34:53AM -0600, Janky Jay, III wrote:
> In the future, if you can, try using "screen" or "tmux" to run these
> large builds in so you don't take the risk of losing the
> terminal/console. Or, maybe I'm completely off-base as to how it was
> lost to begin with.

AIUI, screen runs until the session terminates and then stops. In my case
the controlling terminal was lost when the ssh connection broke. Thus, I
think screen would have quit as well. Just why ssh connections keep breaking
is a mystery of long standing. I've been blaming it on feeble wifi between
my workstation (a Pi3B+) and WAP (D-Link DI524)  but have no persuasive
evidence.
Not usually a big deal.

The build was started using something like
make [options] > make.log &
so it kept beavering away after ssh gave up and still existed when I looked
for it with ps -a. There were still other ssh connections open and running
at the same time. Is there some way to re-attach a running background job to
a new controlling terminal?

Thanks for writing!

bob prohaska