Thanks for the link, I have read it with great interest. The conclusion is supporting the interpretation that a porter should always use the release tarball if one is available. Makes a lot of sense to me. This should be stated more clearly in the Porter's Handbook with a sentence or two to that effect, accompanied by an example that would probably look a lot like the second one of my examples:

MASTER_SITES=
https://github.com/dirkvdb/${PORTNAME}/releases/download/${PORTVERSION}/

Going forward, I'll not be using the GH_ACCOUNT variable in constructing a MASTER_SITES string.

Regards,
Marcel